CS395T/CAM383M Computational Statistics  

Go Back   CS395T/CAM383M Computational Statistics > Previous year: Spring, 2010 > Student Term Projects

Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Saurabh's Term Project

Topic: SVM Implementation for Handwritten Digit Recognition
Attached Images
File Type: pdf mid.pdf (75.9 KB, 900 views)
Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Professor

I think you'll learn a lot in writing your own SVM code. Be sure you do this in a way that allows you to compare your performance and results with somebody else's standard code, for example SVMlight here .
Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Have you seen this method before?

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hinton/adi/index.htm
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM

John, that link apparently uses neural network methods which were the very widely used for pattern recognition before SVMs started to gain popularity in recent times.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 PM

LibSVM and LibLinear are other commonly used SVM packages. LibLinear further provides regularized SVMs that helps to prevent overfitting.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Professor

Good exercise of writing your own code for a well-studied algorithm like SVM. I was left wishing for more detailed analysis of where your code was better or worse than LIBSVM in terms of both performance and timing, and why?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:30 PM

I did mention a bit about the performance with respect to accuracy. While the recognition rate for binary classification problem was very high, multi-class implementation gave poor results (compared with LIBSVM). I suspect the reason for that is the one-versus-all strategy in which there are a lot of ambiguous regions. The one-versus-one strategy is apparently better, but only slightly. LIBSVM itself uses an improved version of one-versus-one strategy.

I should have mentioned a bit about timing performance. While LIBSVM gives the results in a matter of 10 seconds, this code takes about couple of minutes. However, most of the time is wasted in writing and reading the file for Kernel Matrix (I think I'm doing it horribly wrong). With proper evaluation of , I can bypass the I/O and reduce the overall timing vastly.