The Net Neutrality Debate
From CS378H Public Policy and the Digitally Native Technologist
Background on Economics
- What Do Economists Mean by "Rent"?
- What Are Monopolies and Oligopolies and How Do They Behave?
- Case study of Entry Barriers: Google Fiber in Austin
History Leading to the Current Debate
Classification of Services
- History of the Term "Common Carrier"
- What Has "Common Carrier" Meant to the FCC?
- The Term "Information Service Provider"
Actions by Internet Service Providers and by FCC
Chairman Wheeler Steps In
- Wheeler's First Proposal (May, 2014)
- President Obama Speaks Out
- Wheeler's Second Proposal (October, 2014)
- Equipment Manufacturers Take a Stand
- Wheeler's Third Proposal: Reclassify Everything as Title II
Effects of the Current Proposal
- Who Wins/Loses from the Current Proposal?
- The Biggest Edge Provider: Netflix
- Could Future Innovations Undermine Open Internet Rules?
- Forebearance: Can It Work?
Investment and Innovation
The Legal Side of Things
- Why Did Chairman Wheeler First Think That Reclassification Wasn't Necessary
- Could Judge Tatel Have Decided the Key Cases Differently?
- Did the White House Influence the FCC Improperly?
- What Are the Broadband Providers Likely to Do?
Recommendations to Congress: Amend the Communications Act? How?
- What Would a Democrat Want to Do?
- What Would a Republican Want to Do?
- What Would a Broadband Provider (e.g., Comcast) Lobby for?
- What Do We Want?
Mock Sunday Morning Talk Show on Net Neutrality
The direct YouTube link is http://youtu.be/77KPSboWqgA