List of Topics
- 1 Patents: How do they work? Include recent reforms, such as first to file, etc.
- 2 History (fiasco) of patents for software, algorithms, business methods, etc. Include Alice Corporation v. CLS Bank International. What should be patentable?
- 3 Kinds of patent trolls, including profiles of a few of the biggest.
- 4 The case for IP liquidity generally and nonparticipating entities specifically. Include real data.
- 5 The case against patent trolls. Who is hurt by patent trolls? Include real data.
- 6 Other countries' approaches. Court fees, requirements to use, etc.
- 7 Legislative fixes/approaches. E.g., the Innovation Act.
- 8 Non-legislative fixes/approaches. E.g., the LOT Network.
Thank Heavens For Those Patent Trolls
The EFF "Patent-Busting" Project
[Commil USA's "Case" Against Cisco Systems]
"Patent Trolls Want $1000 -- for Using Scanners" (Ars Technica, 1/2/2013)
Sample Patent Troll Demand Letter
"Patent Trolls Now Account for 67 Percent of All New Patent Lawsuits (Washington Post, 6/15/2013)
"One of the Worst Patents Ever Just Got Upheld in Court (Washington Post, 6/24/2013)
List of "Non-Practicing Entities" with Largest Patent Holdings (7/2014)
Patent Progress's Guide to Federal Patent Reform Legislation (2013-2014)
"F.T.C. Votes for Inquiry Into Patent Businesses" (NYT, 9/27/2013)
"Legislation to Protect Against Patent Trolls Is Shelved" (NYT, 5/21/2014)
"Justices Deny Patent to Business Methods (NYT, 6/19/2014)
"Why Retailers Became a Top Target of Patent Trolls" (WSJ, 7/25/2014)
Hatch Talks on Senate Floor about His Patent Reform Bill
"Github - Fighting patent trolls with the LOT Network" (Github 12/9/2014)
"The Evidence is in: Patent Trolls Do Hurt Innovation" (Harvard Business Review 7/14)
Patent Trolls: Why No One Likes Them
Patent Assertion and U.S. Innovation
Apple Loses to Patent Troll
America Invents Act of 2011
Fee-shifting won’t do anything to stop Patent Trolls
Why there are less patents trolls in Europe
"The 1967 Patent Law Debate: First-To-Invent vs. First-To-File"
Impact of Patent Trolls on Startups
Alice Corporation v. CLS Bank International
Unpacking Patent Assertion Entities (PAEs)
"If you believe enough, can you invalidate a patent? Supreme Court to decide" (Mar 31, 2015)
The other side of the story: Inside Intellectual Ventures
Fact Sheet: White House Task Force on High Tech Patent Issues
Patent for Filing Patents
“First to file” patent law starts today: what it means in plain English
Stanford Legal Paper on Patent Trolls